I just finished a new gown. I started with the open robe. I wanted something new for a pumpkin tea I'll be going to in November. I had some striped silk taffeta in the stash (thanks, Loren!), so I whipped up a quick robe.
Then I remembered I had some red embroidered sari trim that I thought would match it, and it did! And I just barely had enough! So I trimmed the arms and hem. I used antique abalone buttons on the front.
Then I remembered I had a sari that had embroidery in the same tones. So I decided to put together a drawstring dress. I really like how it looks together.
As usual I made the skirt too long for fear of making it too short. But that's ok. I had to cut out and sew on trim on the back hem to match.
Here are some photos and a few fashion plates that have similar things going on (stripes in the same tone, and short sleeves).