Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Young Victoria - blue gown

I also finally took pics of the Young Victoria gown I bought in LA.  It was actually one of my favorites in the film:







This dress is exquisitely made - every detail inside and out is perfect and it's so much prettier in person than in those screenshots! It's a beautiful sheer silk sari fabric with gold and silver in it, and the bottom has a pretty edge. The waist is cartridge pleated, and the shoulders have the tiniest little gathers on them. Every seam is piped. There is boning inside and the inside is seriously immaculate. The hook and eyes are so neatly sewn on.

I have no idea of it was screenworn, and I don't know how many doubles were made of this dress. Someone wore it though, because there are what look like makeup smudges on the inside waistline on the cream colored silk taffeta underskirt.

















8 comments:

  1. I am SO jealous!! :) It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Reminds me of the costumes that Grand Valley rents from Stratford every year--with the buttonhole stitch around the hooks & bars and all. Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! How lucky you are to own this gown! Would love to hear more about what it is made of- fiber content/ etc! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Susan - yes, I feel very lucky! I would say it's perhaps silk organza and the underlayer silk taffeta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for all the wonderful detail shots, it is wonderful to see the construction! I love the buttonhole stitch around all the hooks and eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed them! They did such a nice job constructing it - it looks nothing like the inside of my costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O.M.G. I am SO envious. Love seeing the insides of it. I don't like to show mine off.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Yeah, the insides of my costumes are a mess! I wouldn't show them off either! I'm always impressed when they look like this!

    ReplyDelete