Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Grit - DC Cosplay photoshoot

Long time no update - which is really more work related than baby related (I had a baby in November!), though the combo has me pretty busy. And I’m once again massively behind on blogging stuff. So let’s just just back to March, shall we?

I attended a DC Cosplay photoshoot at the Graffiti Warehouse in Baltimore with friends - mainly because I had heard of this venue and it sounded amazing. (And also to spend time with my friends.)

The way these shoots work is that there are a bunch of cosplayers and a bunch of photographers, and you pair up and the photographers take pictures. The costumes had to be along the theme of “Grit,” so there were lots of super hero/horror type stuff, none of which I have. But Gloria thought my Violet Baudelaire from the movie version of A Series of Unfortunate Events would work. That costume hasn’t gotten a ton of wear and I spent like a year on it, so I thought why not?

Each photographer is obligated to produce 2 pics of each cosplayer they work with. So you end up with a bunch of photos you may or may not be happy with (depending on how much you like photos of yourself, haha), but you never know when you might get a gem. I’m no model and also have specific angles I particularly hate, but I decided to do it because it made me uncomfortable - and though I didn’t love all the photos, there were, indeed gems, and it was a cool experience. (It’s definitely intimidating in this era of hi-res photography that leaves no flaw unmagnified to let go and accept that it’ll be all on display. Also, finding good lighting in this place was definitely a challenge - and good light makes for flattering photos - but this wasn’t necessarily about that.)

First off, here is the group pic, taken by In the Long Run Designs (my friends Mike and Gloria).

DSC_0018

Which you can contrast with this group photo take by Don Holmes. DonHolmes1

The next few are my favs, probably because they aren’t really about me, per se. DSC_7734

DSC_7735

The lighting on this floor was so cool that I had a vision of a cool shot of me silhouetted in the light from those windows. I’m not sure I posed exactly right to match what was in my head, but Mike definitely got my vision.

DSC_0008

DSC_0011

Lando Valez

lando velez

Robert James Litchfield:

Robert James Litchfield

Tony Kazmierski:

Grit-0270-Tony Kazmierski

Elysian Arts Photography:

Elysian Arts Photography

Elysian Arts Photography

In the Long Run Designs:

DSC_7710

DSC_7719

DSC_7720

Selfie!

IMG_9860

Random snapshot, probably taken for me by Mike:

IMG_9874

Gloria and I afterwards, in the graffiti alley outside the Warehouse.

DSC_7871

Mike, shooting a picture of Gloria. It was soooo cold that day!

IMG_9924

IMG_9929

No comments:

Post a Comment