Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Costume Year in Review

I think I can get this in just under the wire!

Here's what I said I wanted to do in 2012:

 1) Finish Sleepy Hollow windmill gown

Nope! Again.  I swear, 2013 is the year!

2) PotC peach gown

Ditto with this!

3) new 18c stays

Yes! I did do this!  http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/teal%20stays


4) Something with that red/white striped shantung

Yes! I did do this! I made my own version of the striped Met gown. I was really happy with how this gown turned out. Especially after all the sleeve issues, and that zone front was really difficult to get right. http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/red%20and%20white%20striped




5) Alice in Wonderland blue dress

Nope!

6) new sacque

Nope! Though I have plans for one for next year!

7) 1870s gown

Not even close!

8) some regency gowns

Yes! I did do this!

I made a pink drawstring gown:
http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/pink%20drawstring


And a Sari overgown for it which was based on a fashion plate, but ended up looking more Edwardian. http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/sari%20gown


 I also made this Sari gown and striped robe:
http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/embroidered%20sari%20drawstring%20gown


I made this Sari gown:
http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/peacock%20sari%20gown


I also made this block print gown for my mom (and a bodiced petticoat for under it):
http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/mom%27s%20regency


And thought she didn't get to wear it yet (and I don't have a great picture of it yet), I made her an open robe for Christmas.


9) some 18th century gowns

Yes!

My "gothic" 18th century gown. The fabric isn't totally period, but I love it! And it was fun to pattern match! http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/navy%20and%20gold%20anglaise


And my Curtain-along gown:
http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/curtain-along


10) a regency spencer

 Yes! http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/spencer



11) Historic Belle

Nope!  The group never coalesced and it wasn't a huge priority for me.

What else did I do?

We updated Doug's Nathan Drake costume with some new pieces:
http://costumersguide.blogspot.com/search/label/uncharted


I made an 18th century apron out of a piece of vintage whitework:


And I also repainted and reorganized our hobby/sewing room. I don't have pictures though, sorry!

And I did a faux quilted petticoat.  No pics of that either.



So, what do I want to do in 2013? I have a lot of 18th century plans.

1) Secret project will be first - I don't want to post til it's done, but I'm really excited about it!
 
2) A redingote of some sort. I have red wool set aside for this


3) I really want to do Elizabeth Monroe's pink gown, but I haven't found the right fabric yet.


4) I have fabric for this costume from Mirror, Mirror, but I think I've been putting it off because the bodice is kind of corset-like and that is not my favorite thing to make.


5) I have striped fabric that would be perfect for this 1790s, so I'd like to do something like these.

6) I adore both of these, but I really want to do the cream and pink sacque. I have the cream silk taffeta for it. This was going to be for the Francaise dinner, but since I can't go now, I think it'll be for the Dress U Court Gown event.


7) I really want to finish this Sleepy Hollow windmill costume.


8) I have a fabric source for this and I think it would be fun to do!


9) Oswin from Doctor Who.  I have the sneakers and a few other pieces. I'd have to make the dress since it was custom, not something they bought.

10) The aqua and white striped gown. I love this!


11) The PotC "peach" dress. I have the fabric for the over dress!


12) Sleepy Hollow riding outfit - I have a source for the underfabric (spoonflower) and I have the abalone buttons, but absolutely nothing else. Still, I love this one!


13) Maybe I'll also add a new regency gown in here somewhere.

So I actually did do pretty well on my 2012 costume to-do list, but then, I left it kind of vague in terms of 18th century and regency stuff.

I loved seeing what everyone did this year. My friends are so talented! Happy New Year!

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff! You've been much more prolific than me this year--I think the sum total of my costume accomplishments for the year will be my 19thc corset (assuming I finish it in the next 3.5 hours--still need to bind off the top and bottom, and I might add a few more bones first).

    I'm trying to get my first regency dress done in time for ConFusion (MLK weekend in Detroit).

    Speaking of the Regency: Your Spencer is The Cutest. Love it. I see what you mean about the sari overgown looking a little Edwardian, but then, fashion does tend to go in circles! I think it looks smashing for either century :).

    Also I think I've just fallen madly in love with your Redingote fashion plate. This might be the year I get sucked into the 18th century, by way of wanting The Duchess's entire wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, this is Annalee--for some reason my name is showing up as "unknown" on the previous comment.

      Delete
    2. No worries! Thanks so much! :-) And you should totally make some 18th century gowns!

      Delete
  2. Maggie,

    I LOVE your spencer! It's absolutely my favorite piece.
    Right before your regency drawstring dress with the 'kind-of-Edwardian' Sari Overdress. I'd love to make something like this for the new year! And I agree with Annalee, fashion goes in circles..and it looks quite right for either century.
    Your plans for next year sound inspiring!
    I'd love to make something like your 'gothic' 18th century gown. I like your colour scheme for that one!
    I'm fascinated by the cream and pink sacque and look forward seeing progress on this one.

    As for 2012 I haven't done much..I made a Red Riding Hood Cloak and dress.
    Plus my kids (4 and 5) got pretty good Halloween costumes!
    My son got a Monsters Inc. costume made of hand-dyed light green silk velvet (leftover from my Arwen Coronation!) appliqued with blue furry spots, lots of red felt spikes on back and long tail plus some scary teeth :)
    My daughter got a 'ghost pirate' girl costume. A dark blue silk taffeta dress with lots of ruffles, Sari-brocate bodice with gold laces and a black silk velvet belt with a gem bracelet as closure. and as scary/ghostly detail I sewed a rib cage made of white felt on the back of the dress!

    I also started one of my all-time-favorites. The Titanic Jump dress.. but so far I'm still at the beading.

    I plan on starting some new projects. But I don't have a to-do-list yet. Only the all-time-favorite ones.. like POTC wedding dress, this stunning Elizabeth blue gown,light blue Marie Antoinette with red belt and such :)
    But I really like to make something historic. Thinking about something 18th century..

    A very happy new year to you!!
    Nina
    -vintagequeen-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment! Please feel free to use the "gothic" 18th century color scheme if you like! :-)

      It sounds like you made a whole bunch of things yourself. Good luck on your Jump dress and anything else you do this year!

      Delete
  3. Ohh.... SO many beautiful dresses! I'm totally impressed with how many outfits you made this year. You have such a great Georgian wardrobe! And I can't wait to see the projects on your 2013 to-do list come to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love the 18th century so much. I should really branch out more, but I rarely seem to! :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, you had an amazing year! There's so many and they all look absolutely beautiful! And I love your plans. Especially the Elizabeth Monroe -dress and the cream and pink saque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Can't wait to see your 2013 projects as well!

      Delete