Thursday, February 16, 2012

Velvet Spencer

I made a velvet spencer on Sunday! I did the entire thing in one day, pretty much, other than some finishing touches. (I added hook and eyes and two belt loops because I couldn't keep it all in place.)

I used the Past Patterns 1809 spencer, which actually fit me perfectly. It was a little shy on directions, which was mostly not a problem, but I did have trouble figuring out which was the left and which the right sleeve. I'm still not sure if I guessed right. :-/

I used vintage thread covered buttons on the back - not sure they go with the buckle? A friend gave me the buckle and I really like it. I think it's probably ok together.

I used some cotton velvet I got from RedThreaded - I'm not sure if it was a blend - it was really plush, but it also didn't crease almost at all. It was pretty much a dream to work with, unlike the silk velvet I used on that little S&S vest. (Which I kind of want to redo, which is a little crazy.) The jacket went together really easily. And the velvet didn't fray or slip much at all. And pins didn't mark it. It was really great. And I had just enough fabric with a little bit leftover.

I lined the jacket with the dotted fabric I used one my first regency dress. It'll match if I ever wear it with that!

Also, everything I used came from the stash!  I have so much stuff I've really been trying to focus on using it rather than buying stuff for new projects.

Here are some photos!







2 comments:

  1. Cute dress and the specer looks like somthing you could wear for every day!

    ReplyDelete